New interpretive signs honor history of the Sisters of St. Ann. A series of new bilingual interpretive signs were unveiled on the grounds of St. Annís Academy National Historic Site May 2, 2012, telling the important story of the beginnings of education and health care in the province of British Columbia.
The 17 new interpretive panels chronicle more than a century of dedication and achievement beginning with a small group of francophone Sisters who arrived in Victoria in 1858 and went on to provide education and healthcare services and facilities throughout the Pacific Northwest.
The $105,000 signage project was funded under special projects provisions set out in the Canada-British Columbia Co-operation Agreement on Official Languages 2011-12 to 2012-13 as well as several non-profit groups and foundations.
In addition to the informative display panels, the project included four orientation signs with site maps and directions as well as detailed botanical information in an accompanying brochure. Imbedded Quick Response (QR) Codes allow for expanded learning online.
Project partners include the Francophone Affairs Program of the Intergovernmental Relations Secretariat which administers the Canada-BC Agreement on Official Languages for British Columbia, as well as the Ministry of Community Sport and Cultural Development; Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Innovation; Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations; and the Society of Friends of St. Annís Academy.