From traditional theatre to Shakespeare in the park, St. Annís provides a variety of possibilities for theatrical productions.
Theatre in the Auditorium
St. Annís Academy Auditorium provides a unique historical setting for your theatrical production. The Auditorium seats 200 in an intimate theatre setting with stained glass windows, centre stage accessed from front staircase and two fixed aisles. The Auditorium is accessed directly from the outside; a small tented area is located by the main entrance, which may used for box office or concessions during performances. For rental rates, please click here
Please follow these general guidelines when planning your theatrical event in the Auditorium:
- The Auditorium has very limited backstage with no dressing rooms or access to the stage other than the central stage staircase. Access to backstage through private office space can be made available by special arrangement in advance. Extra fees apply to cover additional staffing costs necessary to monitor area. This area is available only as a thoroughfare to the washrooms downstairs; it cannot be used as a changing area. The washrooms located downstairs may be used by performers as a dressing space; this space is required to be open to the public during performance times.
- St. Annís does not provide box office service. Please ensure that all publicity is clearly marked with the contact information for advance ticket sales. A small tented area is located at the main entrance to the Auditorium; in fair weather this may be used as a box office area. There is also limited space indoors suitable for a box office table; please consult with St. Annís staff.
- Speakers and basic microphones are available. You are also welcome to bring in your own audio equipment. St. Annís does not provide technical staff, so you are welcome to provide your own technical staff as required. There is no stage lighting provided; a 17foot ceiling grid is available for installation of lighting. All setup and clean up of the event must take place during the booked time. Technical days are available (please see our Rental Rates).
- Normally, a portable screen, several tables and other A/V equipment are stored on the stage. Please advise in advance if you require the stage cleared for your set-up.
- The heritage wooden seats are fixed in position and configured with two aisles. Any decoration or signage may be tied onto the seat; No use of adhesive tape, tacks or other invasive methods is allowed. It is not permitted to attach anything to the walls by any method; some wooden easels may be available for displayóplease consult St. Annís staff if desired. All sets must have padded feet to protect the stage floor.
- A wheelchair accessible washroom is located at the left of the stage. The main washroom facilities are located downstairs on the basement level. Please consult with St. Annís staff if you require wheelchair access to the stage.
- Food and drink concession are permitted; please be advised that there are no kitchen facilities available at the Auditorium. The tented area at the back of the Auditorium may be used for concession set up if weather permits. Only bottled water is permitted on the stage. If you are serving alcoholic beverages, a Special Occasion license is required.
Further technical specifications for the Auditorium are available here.
Alternative theatre locations
From avant-garde one man shows to Shakespeare in the Park, St. Annís Academy provides a unique alternative to traditional venues.
Chapel: The 1858 heritage Chapel provides a very intimate setting for audiences up to 150 people. This unconventional setting requires special staging, but is especially well suited to one-man style shows that do not require elaborate set dťcor. Original religious art and 23 carat gold ornamentation surround the sanctuary area, which serves as the stage area. A 1913 Cassavant organ is available for your use; sorry, a piano is not available.
The Novitiate Garden: is a private floral oasis with a gazebo which is suitable for outdoor theatre for up to 100 people. The 20' x 30' gazebo can serve as a stage (electric outlets are available) as your audience spreads out on the lawn below. Fifty folding wooden chairs are available for your use. Washrooms for the Garden are accessed in the Chapel area on the 2nd floor via the Novitiate Garden staircase and balcony.
Depending on your event, you may need to provide:
- sound system and speakers
- stage lighting
- additional chairs for Garden concerts as needed
- box office contact for advance tickets and personnel for box office during the concert
Academy Green: is a large, open grassy area located in front of the Academy building and to the west of the main driveway. It is an appropriate area for large tented events (see Notes for Tented Events). The area measures approximately 65í by 130í (20 x 40 metres). A single tent of 60í x 120í can accommodate 350 people for a dinner and dance reception while 450 people could luncheon in the same space. This space may be augmented with the use of the Orchard, a more rustic location without services.