St. Annís Academy offers a variety of locations for concert events of all sizes. Concert producers are responsible for paying SOCAN fees. Appropriate liability insurance must be held by event organizers.
Concerts in the Chapel & Novitiate Garden
The 1858 heritage Chapel provides an intimate musical setting for up to 150 people. Original religious art and 23 carat gold ornamentation surround the sanctuary area, which serves as the stage area. Golden light streams through the stained glass windows, and incredible acoustics delight musicians of all genres--from choral to classical to jazz and beyond. A 1913 Cassavant organ is available for your use; sorry, a piano is not available.
The Novitiate Garden is a private floral oasis with a gazebo which is suitable for outdoor concerts for up to 100 people. The 60' x 80' gazebo can serve as a stage (electric outlets are available) as your audience spreads out on the lawn below. Forty folding wooden chairs are available for your use. Washrooms for the Garden are accessed in the Chapel area on the 2nd floor via the Novitiate Garden staircase and balcony. Lit candles are not permitted in the Novitiate Garden; LED (battery-operated) candles may be used.
Note; Lit candles are permitted only behind the altar rail in the chapel sanctuary. Candles should be white or off-white, smokeless and dripless in an appropriate holder. The large candles on the altar are for display only; please do not light. For decor in the rest of the chapel, LED (battery-operated) candles are permitted; please consult with staff if you have any questions.
Depending on your event, you may need to provide:
- sound system and speakers
- extra lighting
- additional chairs for Garden concerts as needed
- box office contact for advance tickets and personnel for box office during the concert
For rental rates click here.
Concerts in the Auditorium
St. Annís Academy Auditorium provides a unique historical setting for any genre of musical presentation. The auditorium seats 200 in an intimate theatre setting with stained glass windows, lighted proscenium arch, and a stage accessed from a centre front staircase. There are no anterooms provided; the auditorium house is accessed directly from the outdoors. Click here for information on the Auditorium's Technical Specifications.
- Performances which include open flame or other lit materials are not permitted.
- Appropriate liability insurance must be held by event organizers.
Planning tips for Auditorium concert events
Please follow these general guidelines when planning your Auditorium concert:
- St. Annís Academy does not provide box office service, publicity, or performance riders: these are your responsibility. Information regarding ticket sales may be purchased should be included on your publicity for the event. Tickets and publicity materials should also specify "St. Ann’s Auditorium" as we have several rental locations.
- All setup and clean up of events must take place during booked time Ė this includes the delivery and installation of any risers, musical instruments, lighting or other equipment.
- A piano is not provided; you may make arrangements for a piano to be delivered and installed. Pianos must have protective stage mats.
- A basic amplification and some microphones are available. Please consult with staff for further information. You are welcome to bring in your own audio equipment. Apart from basic microphone set up, St. Annís does not provide technical staff; you are welcome to provide your own.
- There is a small 12 x12 tent outside the main entrance to the Auditorium; this may be used as a box office area, weather permitting. There is also some space inside for a box office table; please consult with St. Annís staff.
- This is a heritage setting: the wooden seats are fixed in position and configured with two aisles. Any decoration or signage must be tied onno adhesive tape or tacks are allowed. NO signage may be affixed to walls, curtains - please ask staff for other methods.
- The stage is accessed from the centre stage staircase. There is a limited backstage area behind the backdrops on stage.
- A wheelchair accessible washroom is located to the left of the stage;main washrooms are located downstairs on the basement level. These may be used as dressing area prior to performances, but they must remain open to the public during the performance. If wheelchair access to the stage is required, please consult St. Annís staff to make arrangements.
- Black cloth backdrops are hanging in place on the side and back of the backstage area. These cannot be removed, but you may hang or pin lightwieght decorations on these.
- There is no stage lighting provided, so you may wish to rent stage lighting. A ceiling grid is available on stage for hanginglights andback drops, or decorations.
- Floral arrangements and other decorations may be used; floral oasis should be used to prevent leaking/spilling. Props such as arches, urns etc. may be used on the stage; these should have rubber tips on legs to avoid harming stage floor.
- The small minstrelís balcony at the rear of the auditorium is not usable by performers or technical staff, as it is not to modern safety codes.
For rental rates click here.